Return to Magazine Index
From The Rotary Rag
Dawson Springs, Ky
Early Community Leaders
Lonnie Houston Wilkie
One of the early community leaders who helped in the development of Dawson Springs as we know it was Lonnie Houston Wilkie.
Returning home after discharge from the Marine Corps he organized the First National Bank of Dawson Springs, which opened its doors for business February 25, 1920. The officers of the bank were: James D. Meadors, President; T. H. OBrien, Vice President; Lonnie H. Wilkie, cashier; and Jessie Glover, assistant cashier. The bank was located on South Main Street, at Railroad Avenue. It had a capitol of $25,000 and a surplus of $2,500. And although a new institution it soon became a respected part of the community. Lonnie Wilkie served as cashier of the First National Bank of Dawson Springs as long as it remained in business.
Lonnie was born at Charleston, Hopkins County, Kentucky on September 25, 1893. He was a son of Walter V. Wilkie, and grandson of Sam H. Wilkie, who was born near Beulah, Kentucky in 1846.
Lonnie H. Wilkie attended the local schools and the Dawson Springs High School and graduated in the class of 1913. While attending Dawson Springs High School he also filled the position od bookkeeper in the Commercial Bank of Dawson for four years. In December 1913 he went to Palo Alto, California where he attended Leland Stanford University.
In November 1916 he entered the Marine Corps and was attached to the paymasters department until Feburary 26, 1918 when he was attached to the First Replacement Battalion and shipped to Brest, France. His duties with the Marine Corps took him all over France. He was honorably discharged in August 30, 1919.
While at home on furlough he married Miss Minnie D. Morris daughter of Amon and Tinsey Morris, on December 28, 1917.
Mr. and Mrs. Wilkie owned a modern residence on Sycamore Street.